Friday, August 19, 2005

So, it's the end of my first week ...

Sorry about the long delay in-between posts, but I can't begin to tell you how hard it has been on my poor brain this last week.

My Monday started with a general two-hour introduction to my new host company. Lots of the usual stuff - you know, how big we are, who our key customers are, where we're heading, policies to remember, etc.

Then I jump into the guiding arms of my buddy, who takes me up, shows round the place, introduces me to my new team-mates (who seem pretty ok on first inspection), and shows me to my new desk.

The rest of the week is pretty much going through the departmental induction process (which, by the way, is about 30-odd webex presentations on every aspect of the job, policies, guidelines, collaboration, etc). This can be simultaneously interesting and mind numbing while quickly reaching the information overload marker.

So I've survived that, only to find that you have to be careful what you wish for! I mentioned on Tuesday that I wish I had some projects on, so at least I could chew on a bone. Well, by Friday, I had five on my plate!

unfortunately, none of these I can do anything about, for one reason or another, and so, I'm twiddling my thumbs until the work can come round again.

As part of the global structure, a cool process that is in place is a formalised peer document review. So, I spent the end of the week going through four different proposals. That was fun.

Anyhows, my information overloaded mind is now officially numb, so I'm off to bed.

TTFN

No comments: